About Significant Trees
Facts about the significant tree register.
An essential part of the character of Gosford City is the predominance of the tree cover in particular the native species covering the ridges which form our Coastal Open Space System. The Coastal Open Space System of bushland reserves is a significant feature of Gosford City although many other trees exist within our suburbs that play an important role in enhancing the City's character.
Trees suitable for the Significant Tree Register:
All trees over three (3) metres in height are protected under Council's Tree Preservation Order so only trees of special significance are included on the significant tree register. Such trees fall within the following categories:
- Landscape Amenity - good specimen trees valued for their size, form, colour and texture.
- Functional Purpose - trees which form a service such as screen, avenue, windbreaks or shade, habitat/food for native fauna.
- Historical Importance - established trees which mark an event, planted by dignitaries or early pioneers.
- Aboriginal Importance - trees located on identified aboriginal sites.
- Botanical/Horticultural Importance - trees of rare or endangered species or generic type.
How Can I Register a Significant Tree:
If you have a tree in your local area or garden that you believe has special significance and is deserving of being included on the register, send a completed Significant Tree Nomination Form to Council along with a photograph of the tree. If the tree is on private land, enclose the consent of the property owner if possible. If the tree is on public land please state this information on the application.
How Can I Obtain a Form
You can obtain a form from any Gosford City Council office. The significant tree nomination form is also available for download.
How Can I Lodge a Significant Tree Nomination
You can lodge a significant tree nomination form at the following places:
- Council's Admin Building, 49 Mann Street, Gosford
- Council's Erina Customer Service Centre, Erina Fair
- Council's Kincumber Customer Service Centre, Kincumber
- Council's Woy Woy Customer Service Centre, Woy Woy
Or you can send your Nomination Form to Gosford City Council, PO Box 21, Gosford, NSW, 2250.
What Happens after I lodge a Significant Tree Nomination Form
Once received, Council will assess your application and if favoured, it will be put forward to Council for endorsement and inclusion on the Significant Tree Register.
How Can I View Council's Significant Tree Register
The significant tree register is available from this web site or you may obtain a copy from any Gosford City Council office.